MEO’s new SMART Net is a kick in the teeth to Net Neutrality
Net Neutrality – the idea that information on the internet should be freely available to all users, regardless of their location, politics, their Internet Service Provider, and the device they’re using. Pretty good idea, right?
Along comes Portugal’s largest mobile network, MEO, with a new product – SMART Net.
SMART Net sounds good on the face of it – you get 10GB of data a month included in your contract, to surf the internet. But there’s a catch. A BIG catch…
You can only use that 10GB on certain services. If you use any other services you’ll get an extra bill at the end of the month.
You can only use your 10GB on the following:
- Messaging – What’s App, Skype, iMessage, Hangouts.
- Social – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Tumblr, Linkedin, Pinterest.
- Video – YouTube, Netflix, Twitch.
- Music – Spotify, TuneIn, Google Music, Soundcloud.
- Email & Cloud – Gmail, Yahoo!, Sapo, Google Drive, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, iCloud.
AND… look at the details… you can only choose ONE selection of services for your 10GB!!! That’s right, you can only choose either messaging, social, video, music OR email/cloud. If you want any of the others you’re going to have to pay more!
Honestly, there is only one word we can think of to sum this up – DISGUSTING.
The Portuguese aren’t happy about it either.