Facebook M – Intelligent (?) Assistant for Messenger
Facebook has launched M, an assistant for Messenger, in the US. M has been in beta for a while but Facebook is rolling out the full blown version to users now.
M aims to provide relevant suggestions to you during a conversation you’re having – things like offering to add an event to your calendar if you type “I’ll see you tomorrow at 10 am”, for instance.
Facebook says more examples include:
- Sending stickers: M shares fun sticker suggestions for your daily life interactions like “Thank you” or “Bye-bye.”
- Paying or requesting money: M recognizes when people are discussing payments and gives them the option of easily sending or requesting money.
- Sharing your location: M can suggest an option to share your location during a conversation.
- Making plans: If people are talking about getting together, M helps coordinating a plan.
- Starting a poll (in group conversations only): Have a hard time making decisions in a group? M lets you set a poll topic and vote in group conversations.
- Getting a Ride: Talking about going somewhere? M suggests “Get A Ride” and shares an option of Lyft or Uber.
Will this be useful or annoying? We think probably the latter, since we’re in a conversation with someone and now some third-party keeps popping up and sticking their nose in.
It reminds us of something else we used to find really annoying…
What’s more worrying is that Facebook admit there are real humans behind some of the suggestions made by M. Does this mean real people are listening in to your conversations while you have them? We know Facebook obviously keep a copy of everything you do* using their stuff but to have someone listening in live is just creepy.
Well, whether you like it or not, Facebook will be rolling out M to the rest of the world in the coming months.
* Find out just how much Facebook knows about you by going to the Settings page on the web & clicking “Download a copy of your Facebook data” at the bottom.